Mitch Evans clinched victory in Saturday’s London E-Prix, as Jake Dennis claimed the championship win in one of the craziest Formula E races in its nine-year history.  

Evans won the race which saw two red flags and two safety car periods. The Jaguar driver secured the win after Nick Cassidy allowed him through during his Attack Mode sequence.

Jake Dennis managed to avoid the chaos that happened around him, which saw his main championship rival Cassidy retire from the race after a collision with his teammate Sebastien Buemi.

The Brit finished the race in second place which was enough to secure his maiden championship win becoming the eighth driver in nine seasons to win the Formula E Championship.

However, the Brit didn’t have it all his own way as the race started perfectly for Envision Racing as Cassidy and Buemi got a great start and worked together to pass Dennis.

Cassidy lead through the first corner and then slowed on the entry of Turn 2 to allow Buemi to pass Dennis by the Kiwi holding up the championship leader.

Cassidy and Buemi worked brilliantly together for the first ten laps of the race, Buemi slowed the pack up so Cassidy could take his first Attack Mode and regain the lead which he did.

However, with three minutes to go in Cassidy’s Attack Mode, he slowed down and allowed Buemi and Evans to pass him.

This move allowed Jake Dennis to pounce on Cassidy, which he did on the final two corners to move into third place.

Cassidy then managed to force his way back past Dennis to move back to third place.

Buemi, Cassidy’s teammate, was directly in front of the Kiwi, but the two drivers were attacking each other rather than helping each other and Cassidy attempted a move at Turn 1 which carried on into Turn 3.

Buemi defended hard from Cassidy and touched his front wing, which broke and caused Cassidy, who was Dennis’s main rival for the championship, to fall to the back of the grid and retire from the race, gifting Dennis the championship.

Evans took the lead of the race as Cassidy allowed him through, as well as his teammate to drop to third.

Dennis was having his own troubles as he missed his first two attack mode attempts. which dropped him down to fifth place.

Pascal Wehrlein wrestled his car past Dennis on lap 30 and set his sights on Rene Rast at Turn 1.

Wehrlein hit the brakes must later than Rast, but Rast tried to defend from the Porsche driver but forced him into the wall causing Wehrein to drop to 13th. Rast continued but with a broken front-wing

On the same lap, but further back, Fenestraz crashed into the back of Dan Ticktum which brought out the red flag, as Fenestraz smashed into the barrier damaging it in the process.

After the red flag, Evans and Buemi took their final attack mode, Evans kept the lead but Buemi was incredibly slow after his Attack Mode activation.

Buemi was slow as he had six minutes of Attack Mode to use in 4 laps, and in order to score points he tried to hold up the pack so he would cross the line without getting a penalty for not using the full amount of Attack Mode.

However, Norman Nato decided he was going to pass Buemi at Turn 19, but it didn’t work as they crashed causing a roadblock and the whole field to stop behind them.

This brought out the second red flag of the race.

Once the race restarted Evans was still first, with Antonio Felix Da Costa second, Dennis third and Sebastien Buemi fourth.

However, Da Costa got a three-minute time penalty for technical infringement which promoted Dennis to second which was more than enough for him to secure the championship.

Buemi finished the race in third with Sam Bird finishing in fourth for Jaguar.

Sergio Sette Camara came home in fifth with Edoardo Mortara in sixth. Lucas Di Grassi was seventh, Dan Ticktum in eighth and Norman Nato in fourth for Nissan, and Pascal Wehrlein secured the final point in tenth.